ncurses unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``' compilation problem..

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:08:43 PDT 2009

2009/6/17 Mauricio Henriquez <mhenriquezs at terra.cl>:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm having a weird issue compiling ncurses, I'm using lfs 6.4 and fedora
> 10 as host
>
> here is the error runnung "make":
>
> AWK=gawk sh ./MKkey_defs.sh ./Caps >>curses.h
> sh -c 'if test "cchar_t" = "cchar_t" ; then cat ./curses.wide >>curses.h
> ; fi'
> cat ./curses.tail >>curses.h
> sh ./MKhashsize.sh ./Caps >hashsize.h
> ./MKhashsize.sh: line 38: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
> ./MKhashsize.sh: line 43: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> make[1]: *** [hashsize.h] Error 2
>

> any ideas?

 A buggy bash ?  (Not what we expect with something recent like fedora10, but
perhaps you got a bad version of a bleeding-edge bash).  In clfs we
patch ncurses
to cope with buggy versions of bash.  For LFS-6.4 chapter 5 try building bash
(which should be the next package) before building ncurses.

Alternatively, try the patch from clfs :
http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos/cross-lfs/trunk/patches/ncurses-5.7-bash_fix-1.patch

ĸem