Help: ownership problem of $LFS/tools

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:49:48 PDT 2009

On 16/06/2009, mustapha bettich <zippo29 at hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am a newbie about linux and LFS and I just started to build my own LFS. I
> have a problem: when doing a "make install" of any package, I think it is
> trying to create a /tools directory inside /tools or something like that.
> And because my lfs user is not the sudoer of the files it fails and gives me
> error.

 But you haven't said what the error is!

> To make it work I changed this command by changing the prefix: CC="gcc
> -B/usr/bin/" ../binutils-2.18/configure --prefix=/mnt/lfs/tools
> --disable-nls --disable-werror. I think it will not change anything but I
> want to be sure that it will not impact my further work.

 That sounds a bad idea, but I've never tried it.  I think you will be
on safer ground if you let us know what the original error message
was, and hopefully we can provide a better fix.

 Which host distribution are you using, and how *exactly* does your
method differ from what is in the book (specifically, section 4.3
where root creates the user and uses 'su - lfs' ?

 Please note: you seem to be using sudo - I can't offer any advice on
that, but I know other people use it so it should be possible to find
something that works.

ĸen