VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd2" or unknown-block(0,0)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:41:19 PDT 2009

(warning: first reply from my googlemail a/c, sorry if this is screwed up)

On 16/06/2009, ajith silva <ajithsilva at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have completed my LFS 6.4 build, but during booting it gives following
> error message:
>

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd2" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available
> partitions:
 but no partitions were listed
> Kernel panic - not sysncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>

> I have build the kernel without initrd and module support, went through all
> the similar issues faced by others and did everithing known to me but no
> solution,

 Sometimes, it might help to tell the list what you have already
tried, to save people having to guess.

 For a normal (native) system I would say that you either failed to
compile the filesystem or the correct disk driver (or both!) into the
kernel.  But

> My system running on CentOS with VMWare 6.0.4 on WindowsXP.

 So, probably another virtualisation problem.

Which driver(s) is CentOS using for the disk (I guess you can get them
from the list of instaled modules), and have you compiled these ?

Because the kernel fails to list any available partitions, it suggests
some sort of driver is missing.  ISTR vmware is proprietary software,
perhaps you need to compile a vmware kernel module for the LFS kernel.

ĸen