VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd2" or unknown-block(0,0)

ajith silva ajithsilva at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 04:23:19 PDT 2009

Dear all,

I have completed my LFS 6.4 build, but during booting it gives following error message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not sysncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I have build the kernel without initrd and module support, went through all the similar issues faced by others and did everithing known to me but no solution,

My system running on CentOS with VMWare 6.0.4 on WindowsXP.

Please help me,

AjAs