Bash Auto Completion Fubar

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sat Jun 13 16:31:33 PDT 2009

Esben Stien <b0ef at esben-stien.name> writes:

> The problem is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Help. Help. I seriously need help;).

I started over and built the entire LFS book word for word and in
chapter six when I execute the new bash, the same problem arise.

This is very frustrating and I just don't know what to do.

No one has seen this problem before?.

Any pointers as to what I can try?.

Maybe I should try to build form another system, but as I followed the
book to the word, it should be a clean environment. And besides, I'm
building from an LFS system, built in 2006, which has served me well
and where bash was something I could absolutely trust 100%.

I will write to the bash mailing list, but I just needed to check with
you all first.

The problem seems random, too. I can unpack 10 files, change into the
directory and build and continue unpacking until I unpack a file where
auto completion doesn't work and I have to manually write the
directory name to change into it.

Last one I had problem with:

tar -jxf util-linux-ng-2.14.1.tar.bz2

cd ut TAB

.. and it auto completes the filename "util-linux-ng-2.14.1.tar.bz2",
instead of the directory "util-linux-ng-2.14.1"

If I do:

<some command> ut* TAB TAB

..it doesn't list the directory I just unpacked,

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m