[lfs] error compiling gcc in Pass 1

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:40:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 16:36 -0500, William Immendorf wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM, William
> Immendorf<will.immendorf at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Ankur Sinha<sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or
> >> directory
> > It seems you are missing /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h. I think this is in
> > the glibc development package. Install that, and try again.
> Wait a second! From analysing the output, you are trying to build on a
> 64 bit system!!
>
> LFS has incomplete support for 64bit systems. My only recommendation
> is to try CLFS. It is at:
>
> trac.cross-lfs.org.
>
> Oh, and BTW, try installing the glibc development package for 32bit.
>
> William

hi,

Some queries, since my knowledge on linux building is clearly scanty.

- Why do I need to use CLFS/cross compiling?
- Wouldn't I end up with a 64 bit lfs system if my host is 64 bit?
- Isn't CLFS to be used when the lfs is to be different from the host in
architecture?
- Isn't the order of package setup (the procedure for making a lfs) same
for all architectures? If not, why so?

I really don't want to install a 32bit system since my processor is a
64bit one.

--
regards,

Ankur