[lfs] error compiling gcc in Pass 1

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 12 07:13:39 PDT 2009

Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 13:42 +0530, Aditya Bankar wrote:

[...]

>> This has to be done inside the gcc's source directory. If you have
>> unzipped it outside the gcc's source directory then mpfr would not
>> be found. I had done the same thing.

The general instructions provide the clue needed there, I think.
Each section presupposes that one has untar'd the source, and
then cd'd to the resultant directory, before performing any
of the instructions associated with the package.

> Thanks.
>
> I had figured it was a small error somewhere..
>
> Is there some documentation which provides _reasons_ as to what we are
> doing? Or do we learn that as we read on?

Umm, I thought the explanation was pretty clear. What is there
about needing to build a compiler in order to build that needs
explaining?

Perhaps you mean the reason one needs to get the associated
packages and untar them in the gcc directory? That's simply
a matter of how the FSF decided to package gcc. You'd have
to ask them, not the LFS team.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.