Bash Auto Completion Fubar

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Fri Jun 12 06:52:46 PDT 2009

Installing LFS-6.4 and since my last bash, something has obviously
changed with auto completion.

The problem is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm seeing the same problem with bash-3.2 and bash-4.0 when installing
the new system, but my previous LFS system, from 2006, which also has
bash-3.2.39, doesn't have this problem.

F.ex:

If I do

tar -zxf file-4.26.tar.gz

..then I have one file and one directory named:

file-4.26.tar.gz
file-4.26/

If I try to cd into this directory:

cd file TAB

..it auto completes the filename.

It doesn't even see the directory.

If I do:

cd file* TAB

..it lists both the directory and the file, but if I want to the enter
the directory, I have to write the complete directory and hit enter.

It's really, really weird and it doesn't always happen, just with some
files/directories.

I've made sure I don't have any programmable completions:

complete -r

..so "complete" returns nothing

This is the output of ''bind -v''

set bind-tty-special-chars on
set blink-matching-paren on
set byte-oriented off
set completion-ignore-case off
set convert-meta off
set disable-completion off
set enable-keypad off
set expand-tilde off
set history-preserve-point off
set horizontal-scroll-mode off
set input-meta on
set mark-directories on
set mark-modified-lines off
set mark-symlinked-directories off
set match-hidden-files on
set meta-flag on
set output-meta on
set page-completions on
set prefer-visible-bell on
set print-completions-horizontally off
set revert-all-at-newline off
set show-all-if-ambiguous off
set show-all-if-unmodified off
set visible-stats off
set bell-style none
set comment-begin #
set completion-prefix-display-length 0
set completion-query-items 100
set editing-mode emacs
set history-size 500
set keymap emacs

I have not installed any other packages than what are listed in the
6.4 book, except bash-4.0 and readline-6.0.

The reason for upgrading to bash-4 and readline-6 was that I also saw
this in bash-3.2.

This is very frustrating, cause it makes it impossible to work with.

Anyone seen this problem?.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m