Backup of LFS

Scott harview at montana.com
Thu Jan 29 08:57:48 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 04:21:59PM +0000, Daniel T. Nevistic wrote:

> tar cvzf back_up.tgz /bin /lib /usr /etc /boot /var <anything else you
> need>
>
> Or cp -a, or dd, or whateva.

I recently had a hard drive go wonky on my host system. For a while I
could still access a lot of the data on it, and managed to retrieve
'most' of it. (using my brand-new lfs as a rescue tool). ISTR that
when I used the cp -a, it didn't pick up any files or dirs beginning
with a period. Like .emacs, .postfix/, etc. But that the tar method
did. I could be wrong, it was a stressful time.....

scott swanson