cannot open root device hda3

Daniel T. Nevistic dan22 at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 29 07:53:28 PST 2009

// Hello folks.
//
// I'm working lfs book 6.4 (have already done 6.3) and am tying first time boot.
//
// error:
// VFS: cannont open root device hda3 or unknow block (2,0)
//
// please append a correct "root" boot option: here are the available partions
--->Does it list the available partitions?  If it gives you sda3 as an
available partition, you just need to pass root=/dev/sda3 to grub:
kernel /boot/lfs-kernel root=/dev/sda3

If it does not give you any available partitions, then it is likely that
you do not have support for your hard drive controller built into your
kernel.

As an example here is what I needed to do (in the liveCD)

# lspci
.... Output
Found a line that talked about my hard drive controller and noticed that
it was: <VENDOR-ACRONYM><NUMBER>

Then I noticed that in the kernel configuration in the pata and sata
configuration section that there was an option for this hard drive
controller.

After enabling the option, when the kernel paniced, it gave me a list of
available partitions, the root partition being among them.

Make sure that you have the ATA section of the kernel configuration
disabled (that is, if you do not what to use this older section).

Basically, if you are using the newer version (PATA and SATA section) you
have to have the ATA... section disabled and vice versa.

---Daniel T. Nevistic

//
// kernel panic - not syncing: VFS unable to mount root fs on unkonw block (2,0)

//
// OK
//
//                        Size: 120034123776 bytes, 120.0 GB
//              Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 14593
//
//     Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
//  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//     hda1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext3       [/boot1]          197.41
//     hda2                    Primary   Linux                             1283.15
//     hda3                    Primary   Linux ext2                       10997.20
//
//
// # Begin /etc/fstab
//
// # file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
// #                                                        order
//
// /dev/hda3      /            ext2   defaults        1     1
// /dev/hda2      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
// proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
// sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
// devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
// tmpfs          /dev/shm     tmpfs  defaults        0     0
// # End /etc/fstab
//
// BOOTED LIVECD and mounted hda3:
// root [ /mnt/lfs/boot ]# ls
// config-2.6.27.4  grub  lfskernel-2.6.27.4  System.map-2.6.27.4
//
// menu.lst
// # Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst
// # By default boot the first menu entry.
// default 0
// # Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
// timeout 30
// # Use prettier colors.
// color green/black light-green/black
//
// # The first entry is for LFS.
// title LFS 6.4
// root (hd0,2)
// kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.27.4 root=/dev/hda3
//
// Any ideas?
//
// Thanks in advance
//
// rp
// --
// http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-support
// FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html
// Unsubscribe: See the above information page
//