Backup of LFS

Tomáš Skočdopole tomas.skocdopole at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 02:14:45 PST 2009

Hi,

If you have more space on your backup harddrive,
the easiest way is use some liveCD and backup the whole harddrive.
You should do with this command:
    dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /mnt/path/to/image.gz
And command for restore
    gzip -dc /mnt/path/to/image.gz | dd of=/dev/sda

Or you can backup only MBR
dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/path/to/mbr_image count=1 bs=512
And restore:
dd if=/mnt/path/to/mbr_image of=/dev/sda

And copy files from /dev/sda* manually.

Tomas

2009/1/29 Ryan Isaacs <ryanisaacs at gmail.com>:
> I have a fresh LFS 6.4 installation, all I've done is add 1 user. Is
> there a preferred way to back it up (and restore)?
>
> Would it be sufficient to just use the liveCD, mount my paritition,
> and 'cp -ar', or do I need to do something more arcane like 'dd'?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> www.risaacs.com
> ryanisaacs at gmail.com