FW: Kernel panic - vmware attempt

Luca Di Stefano lc_gyver at hotmail.it
Sun Jan 25 10:46:26 PST 2009

Hello!
I've seen many people in the mailing list discussing about this problem, but since I tried a lot of possible configurations for the kernel without success I'm asking to you now...
When I try to boot, the kernel reports these lines:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available pertitions:
0b00       1048575 sr0 driver: sr
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Details about the system:
For the whole process I used VMWare (that means SCSI devices support must be enabled, isn't it?)
I used two hard disks, one (sda) had the host system (OpenSUSE 11), and I set the other to accept the LFS system (sdb: created sdb1 -> ext3 & sdb2 -> swap)
Grub loader is set this way:

root (hd1,0) -> the sdb1 partition
setup (hdh1) -> stage 1 & 2 found, and also e2fs_stage1_5, all doing ok

kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.27.4 root=/dev/sdb1 -> the kernel is found correctly (it completes automatically when pressing the tab button), and the name of the partition (I checked at least a million times) it is correct.

SCSI devices enabled (made this list with "grep -i scsi .config"):

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC79XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC=y
CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT_FIND=y
CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT=y

Strange behaviours I noticed:
In the host system's boot folder there's a link to itself. (don't know if it may be useful, even if I don't think so)

If someone has a hint please help me :)
In the meantime I'll try the most stupid thing to do: make allyesconfig... maybe the problem is not in the kernel but elsewhere...

Thank you for your work,
Luca