hdx to sdx change in 2.6.28

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 24 03:07:29 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 21:15 -0500, alupu wrote:
> - QUESTION
> Does anybody know anything about the transition to 2.6.28 changing the
> "view" of the system to a "Universal", "Uniform", "Consistent", "SATA
> centric", etc.?
>
> Any words, details, etc. which can shed some light on this strange
> phenomenon will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Disclaimer - I'm speaking only as someone who uses this stuff, not as
any kind of kernel expert.

Shortly after SATA drives started coming out, the kernel developers
started work on a new framework for hard-drive access, called libATA -
it's not SATA centric as such, but it was created to make supporting
SATA easier, and to remedy deficiencies in the old system. Because of
that, almost all SATA drivers use this framework, but they've also been
working on replacing old PATA drivers with new ones for the new
framework.

As with the usb-storage framework for dealing with flash drives and
stuff, this new framework uses a lot of infrastructure that came
originally from SCSI, hence the change in device names to sdX.

As to why things have suddenly broken for you, I'm only guessing, but
I'd say 2.6.28 must have removed the old driver you were using - maybe
the Changelog has some mention of it?

Simon.