Can't Boot Without Boot Disk--Bios Hosed?

Greg van Slageren gregvs at msn.com
Mon Jan 12 18:56:20 PST 2009

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:10:02 -0500
> From: WitlessIdiot at triad.rr.com
> To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: Re: Can't Boot Without Boot Disk--Bios Hosed?
>
> Greg van Slageren wrote:
>>

>> Hi Dan,
>> I have XP setup on hda and Linux on hdb similar to yourself. Rather than
>> use different packages / programms to backup and restore different os's,
>> I use 'bootit ng'. Granted its not shareware / freeware or open source, but
>> it's worth considering as it runs independant of all os's. It is both a
>> boot manager and partition backup/restore utility.
>
> Hmmm. Sounds a lot like LILO, which LFS used to use before the world
> became enamored of GRUB. Is "bootit ng" easier to use and maintain than
> LILO? Or, at least, is the learning curve a lot shorter than LILO? IIRC,
> the learning curve is what always stumped the new users.
>

>> Greg
>>

> --
> Wit
> --

Hi Wit,
'bootit ng' is similar to OS/2's boot manager in that it resides
in its own single track partition (8MB). Its not a Linux package
and probably would not interest those who prefer to maintain a 100%
Linux system. As such it probably should not be discussed here. But...

Since I deal with several different os's (Linux and non-Linux) on my pc,
i use this as a single solution to my boot and backup/restore process.

Once i've selected which Linux partition to boot, the Linux grub loader
goes through its standard process within that partition, to load and start
the kernel. The advantage of this is that each os is installed and maintained
within its own partition(s) and no OS touchs the MBR as this is maintaind by
bootit ng. Many os's 'fight' over the management of the MBR and as such
cause many problems for beginners.

My pc looks like:
hda1    bootit ng                  8Mb
hda2    eCom Station (OS/2)        2Gb
hda3    QNX                        2Gb
hda4    XP                        60Gb

hdb1   Linux LFS 6.4              20Gb
hdb2   Linux OpenSuse 11.1        20Gb
hdb3   Linux LFS/BLFS 6.3         20Gb
hdb4   Linux Swap                  4Mb

For those who prefer to remain 100% Linux then GParted is probably the better
option. As it can be built along the standard BLFS process.

As for the learning curve it is fairly simple to setup and use. Have a look at
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

Greg