Can't Boot Without Boot Disk--Bios Hosed?

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Jan 12 04:56:43 PST 2009

Posting to this list because of possible GRUB installation probs.

Dual boot box with XP and (B)LFS on separate hard drives--XP on hda1 and
LFS on hdb1.  LFS 3 (?) years old--6.1 or 6.2.  Wanted to re-arrange
partitions and clean-up pending a new LFS build. Backed up everything to
external hard drive.  I used Nero for Windows and `tar -cf - . | tar
-xvf - -C <target>` for linux.  I might add that I hadn't done this
before becuase Partition Magic 8.0 in windows was reporting "bad
partition" table and wouldn't make any changes.

I used Gparted live CD to make the partition changes that I wanted, used
a Nero boot CD to recover Windows and LFSLIVECD-6.3 to recopy LFS. So
far so good.

When I rebooted I got GRUB error 22.  OK, so I used XP install disk and
ran fixmbr.  Now I could get to windows but not LFS.  Grub Error 15 "no
such file or directory."  Googling led me to the concept that grub's
stage{1,2} and e2fs-stage1_5 are images. So using the LFS live-cd and
version 6.2 of the book, I chrooted into LFS uninstalled, rebuilt and
re-installed GRUB-0.97.  Don't know what my mistakes were, but I went
through this iteration a couple (?) of times before <grub> setup (hd0)
reported that it had recognized and successfully installed itself to the
MBR.  Now I couldn't even boot to Windows.  So I started again.  One
thing that I did notice was the grub reported hd0 as ext3 and hd1 as
fat32.  That's just the opposite of the situation.

By this time I was pressing to fix and was tired.  Shoulda walked away.
I tried to "repair" my windows installation, but it looked like a
complete new install and I didn't complete it.  Wiped the hard drive and
tried again.  In the interim I had discovered the grub boot cd. Glad I
did because after the repair attempt, I ended up restoring with Nero
again, PC told me "trouble loading OS" at boot.  Now I can't boot
without that CD and only to windows.  Each time I try to boot LFS, I get
Error 15.

When I try to set up grub using LiveCD and chroot, the results of `setup
(hd0) are

checking stage1 exists...no
checking boot/grub/stage1 exists...no
no such file or directory

In the grub shell `find boot/grub/stage1` gives

file or directory does not exist.

I'm stumped.  Can't find anything helpful by googling any more.  I can
only think that I have fallen pray to windows and DOS snobbishness and
am paying for using a non-windows based partition manager to do my work.

The other possibility is that somehow I have hosed my bios.  It does
detect each hard drive and in the right order.  I've run Western
Digital's checks and the hard drives appear to be OK.

I'm hoping that someone here can at least point me in the right
direction on this.  Hard drive and bios operations are absolutely my
weakest area in computing.

Thanks in advance.

Dan