LFS Book 5.5.1 Installation of gcc

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 7 07:35:23 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:08:47PM +0000, Anthony Price repeated:
> 07-01-2009
>
> Host System: Linux 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Tue Oct 21 23:43:45 UTC 2008
> i686 GNU/Linux
> This is a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware.
> I have run the  version-check.sh script and the system meets the
> requirement for a build.
>
> Host gcc is: gcc (GCC) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)
>

> I have installed binutils without trouble so the basic setup seems to be
> working.
>
> However, no matter what I try,  the new (target) GCC will not compile
> properly.
>
> First question is regarding the instructions:
>
> tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.3.2.tar.bz2
> mv mpfr-2.3.2 mpfr
> tar -jxf ../gmp-4.2.4.tar.bz2
> mv gmp-4.2.4 gmp
>
> I installed these packages on the host. Copied the sources to /opt and
> compile and installed them (without error messages) on the host system.
> Was this the right thing to do - the book seems to be a bit ambiguous on
> this (or maybe I'm just having a stupider than average day)

 You are supposed to untar these *after* you are in the gcc
directory.  As with all packages you untar the "main" package,
cd into its directory, and then do whatever the book says.

 And afterwards, you come out of the directory and remove it
(together with any -build directory).  But, that is probably all
unrelated to this error!

> After that I
>
> 1. unpacked the GCC package in /mnt/lfs/sources
> 2. created the build directory in /mnt/lfs/sources/gccbuils & cd'd to it
> 3. ran the CC=gcc....
> 4. ran make
>
> Step 4 resulted in the error message:
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: cannot compute
> suffix of object files: cannot compile
>
> Any help on this would be extremely useful.

 Have a look at the 'config.log' (you probably have several of them
so something like

 find -name 'config.log' | xargs grep 'cannot compute suffix'

or, if they are in the gcc tree instead of the build tree (I don't
remember) find ../gcc-4.3.2 -name 'config.log' etc.

When you find it, open it in your favourite editor or in 'less',
search for that text, then look at the lines nearby to see what
error message triggered the problem.

ĸen