LFS Book 5.5.1 Installation of gcc

Anthony Price elenmar at mailworks.org
Wed Jan 7 06:08:47 PST 2009

07-01-2009

Host System: Linux 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Tue Oct 21 23:43:45 UTC 2008
i686 GNU/Linux
This is a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware.
I have run the  version-check.sh script and the system meets the
requirement for a build.

Host gcc is: gcc (GCC) 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

I have installed binutils without trouble so the basic setup seems to be
working.

However, no matter what I try,  the new (target) GCC will not compile
properly.

First question is regarding the instructions:

tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.3.2.tar.bz2
mv mpfr-2.3.2 mpfr
tar -jxf ../gmp-4.2.4.tar.bz2
mv gmp-4.2.4 gmp

I installed these packages on the host. Copied the sources to /opt and
compile and installed them (without error messages) on the host system.
Was this the right thing to do - the book seems to be a bit ambiguous on
this (or maybe I'm just having a stupider than average day)

After that I

1. unpacked the GCC package in /mnt/lfs/sources
2. created the build directory in /mnt/lfs/sources/gccbuils & cd'd to it
3. ran the CC=gcc....
4. ran make

Step 4 resulted in the error message:
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: cannot compute
suffix of object files: cannot compile

Any help on this would be extremely useful.

Regards,

Anthony.