USB Hard Drive issues

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:39:57 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Jack Stone <jwjstone at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a LFS 6.3 system which I am trying to attach a Maxtor Onetouch IV
> USB hard disk too.  The system recognises the disk under the udev_retry
> script but only after the next init script finished running, i.e after
> udevsettle returns.  This seems to be regardless of what the next
> initscript is.
>
> As the udev_retry script is after the mountfs script I tried adding an
> extra_mount script after udev_retry which does a "mount -a".  This
> script fails as the device has not been created yet but the scsi driver
> recognises the drive straight after the error message, even before enter
> is pressed.
>
> I have two questions:
>  * Why does this not just work
>  * Can I solve this by creating static devices (I would prefer not too
> but if its needed).

I'm think this is a timing issue with using USB disks since it
requires the usb-storage and the whole libata stack to be loaded and
then have all the disks and partitions enumerated before the devices
are created. I think this is just slow on USB and why the event isn't
even triggered until udev_retry comes along. I'm kind of talking out
of an orifice that is not on my face, but I'm pretty sure that's
what's happening.

Out of curiosity, do you have usb-storage, libata or scsi built into
the kernel or as modules? It may help to get more things built into
the kernel.

--
Dan