USB Hard Drive issues

Jack Stone jwjstone at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 6 04:08:50 PST 2009

Hi all,

I have a LFS 6.3 system which I am trying to attach a Maxtor Onetouch IV
USB hard disk too.  The system recognises the disk under the udev_retry
script but only after the next init script finished running, i.e after
udevsettle returns.  This seems to be regardless of what the next
initscript is.

As the udev_retry script is after the mountfs script I tried adding an
extra_mount script after udev_retry which does a "mount -a".  This
script fails as the device has not been created yet but the scsi driver
recognises the drive straight after the error message, even before enter
is pressed.

I have two questions:
 * Why does this not just work
 * Can I solve this by creating static devices (I would prefer not too
but if its needed).

Thanks,

Jack