Q: why are the auto-tools in LFS and not BLFS?

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Fri Feb 27 16:18:08 PST 2009

I'd always taken it for  granted that m4, autoconf, automake etc.  had
to be  in LFS, but  recently I thought  "Hang on!  The  auto-tools are
*development* tools,  not build tools.   Building auto-tooled software
only requires  a shell,  make, sed etc.   You don't need  autoconf and
friends unless you want to develop software.".

So,  since creating  an  LFS system  only  requires building  existing
software, why does it include  the auto-tools?  Could we not move them
to BLFS?  What am I missing here?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty