Block Chars in man pages after completing LFS

Ryan Isaacs ryanisaacs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:46:43 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas
<a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, at 12:38 Ryan Isaacs wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas
>> <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Is this happening under X or under a virtual console? Do you have a
>> > capable font to display the glyph?
>> >

>> Virtual console. With console, does the font question still apply?
>
> It was meant for the virtual console.
>
> Try to set up the console script, as it is explained with details in
> "7.6. Configuring the Linux Console", reboot and see if your problem
> persists.

That looks like the issue. I found in my notes that I skipped section
7.6 because I really didn't understand it, and since I'm a
plain-old-ascii-english user. However, that seems to conflict with my
choice of iso8859-1 or utf-8 for LANG.

I set the font on the command line with 'setfont lat1-16 -m 8859-1',
and voila, the single quotes showed up in 'man udev'. However, my
solution for now is to not set LANG in /etc/profile, continue with no
/etc/sysconfig/console, and just inherit the defaults. With this, I
get the single quotes in 'man udev'.

I think I would like to use LANG=en_US.UTF-8, but I don't know what
the meshing values in /etc/sysconfig/console should be. I need to do
some learning.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

--
www.risaacs.com