Block Chars in man pages after completing LFS

Lefteris Dimitroulakis edimitro at tee.gr
Mon Feb 23 12:11:00 PST 2009

Στις Monday 23 February 2009 01:33:27 ο/η Ryan Isaacs έγραψε:
> After completing my lfs build, I'm seeing some block characters in
> some man pages.
>
> For example, for 'man udev', towards the bottom of the first page, I
> see a # sign between 2 block characters (squares). I presume these
> should be quotes.
>
> I set LANG to en_US.iso88591 in step 7.9. I've since tried setting
> 'export LANG=' to both en_US and en_US.utf8 within a bash shell, but
> still see the block chars.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> www.risaacs.com
> ryanisaacs at gmail.com

It looks to me that this is a simple font problem:
ie the font you are using do not contain the relevant character.
Please try another font like for example:

$setfont gr928b-8x16.psfu

in your en_US.UTF-8 environment.
Of course this is not a proper font for your
prefered locale, but at least it will show you where
the problem actually is.

cheers
Lefteris