Block Chars in man pages after completing LFS

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:18:43 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, at 12:38 Ryan Isaacs wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas
> <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 23, at 10:03 Ryan Isaacs wrote:
> >
> >> Setting LANG to 'en_US.UTF-8', I'm still seeing the block character in
> >> 'man udev'.
> >
> > Is this happening under X or under a virtual console? Do you have a
> > capable font to display the glyph?
> >

> Virtual console. With console, does the font question still apply?

It was meant for the virtual console.

Try to set up the console script, as it is explained with details in
"7.6. Configuring the Linux Console", reboot and see if your problem
persists.

Additionally, you might get better fonts and with wide coverage, if you
install the "sigma-consolefonts", made by Ken,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/sigma-consolefonts/

Substitute the font line in your console script, with something like
(in the case of greek or cyrillic):

FONT="sigma-cyrillic-8x16"

Read the README and INSTALL file for instructions.

Regards,
Ag.