Block Chars in man pages after completing LFS

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 22 16:29:19 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 05:33:27PM -0600, Ryan Isaacs wrote:
> After completing my lfs build, I'm seeing some block characters in
> some man pages.
>
> For example, for 'man udev', towards the bottom of the first page, I
> see a # sign between 2 block characters (squares). I presume these
> should be quotes.
>
> I set LANG to en_US.iso88591 in step 7.9. I've since tried setting
> 'export LANG=' to both en_US and en_US.utf8 within a bash shell, but
> still see the block chars.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

 Which version of the book  ?  Specifically, are you using
groff-1.20.1 ?

 I'm on an old clfs-ish system at the moment, with udev-135, and from
  hexdump -C /usr/share/man/man7/udev.7  | less
I can see that the characters are \' (backslash and single quotes) -
nothing unusual about those (unlike some pages here which use
"smart quotes").

 If this is a released version of the book, I don't recall anyone
reporting anything like this.

 I assume that single quotes display normally outside of man pages ?
On this setup of mine (normally en_GB.UTF-8) I can provoke the
characters to be displayed as <C2><B4> in reverse video if I use
any non-existent LC_ALL= value so I sort of guess something might
be wrong with your locales.  Did you actually install these locales ?
What does 'locale' report after you have set it ?

ĸen