Fwd: How to save and replicate a LFS

thorsten fly_b747 at gmx.de
Sat Feb 21 06:08:06 PST 2009

> OTOH, if you instead use something like tar or cpio and compress the
> output, you can put it on the stick's native FS. I've not looked at the
> parameters (use man), but something like
>
> tar -cjf /mnt/usbstick/output.file.z .
>
> with additional parameters for preservation of attributes ought to get
> you started.
>
> Then on the receiving system, after cd'ing to the target directory,
> something like
>
> tar -xjf /mnt/usbstick/output.file.z
>
> Be sure and use the man pages. Test and refine your parameters on a
> small subset first.

I use

mount --bind / /mnt/sys-bkup
cd /mnt/sys-bkup/
tar -cpvjf /mnt/backup/backup.tar.bz2 ./*

to backup my systems, which does work well.
The bind mount is nice IMO because you don't copy any mounted
subfilesystems with it. No /proc /sys /dev pseudo filesystems get
copied. Just the contents of rootfs.

thorsten