Fwd: How to save and replicate a LFS

Support support at expertrepair.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 06:35:13 PST 2009

Anthony Price wrote:
> Jian Yang wrote:
>
>> I have successfully created a LFS on one machine.
>>
>> Now I want to replicate it to other machines with same configuration.
>>
>> What is a good way to do that ?
>>
>> I use dd to dump/restore the disk partition. Any other better way?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -yangjian
>>

> This worked for me:
>
>  From the root of the LFS system
>
> cp -av * [target]
>
> Where the target is any area of storage such as another disk partition.
> To make the new system bootable:
>
> 1. Edit /etc/fstab to indicate the new partition
> 2. Edit GRUB to point to the new installation
>
> I have done this both as a partition to partition copy job and as a copy
> to tarball and restore tarball to target partition and both have worked.
>
> HTH.
>
> Anthony.

Don't forget if moving to another machine you'll need to install grub as
well as configure it, also, unless your machines are identical, you'll
probably need to reconfigure the kernel to match the new machines too,
most importantly the disk controller to make sure it can boot, obviously
don't forget your network/audio cards and any other hardware when
recompiling.  For more tips have a search of the mailing list archives,
this one has been covered a few times now.

Regards

Phill Upson