lfs-book, version 6.4, chapter 6.7, "make: gcc: Command not found"

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Feb 14 09:31:52 PST 2009

Aaron Schawalder wrote:

>>> Something is wrong ...
>>>
>>> I performed the following tests:
>>> /home/lfs is the home directory of user "lfs"
>>>
>>> root:/sources/linux-2.6.27.4# exit
>>> logout
>>> esprit:/home/lfs# echo $LFS
>>> /mnt/lfs
>>> esprit:/home/lfs# readelf -l /tools/bin/gcc | grep interpret
>>>      [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]
>>> esprit:/home/lfs#
>>>
>> I don't see the point of this. You're neither the lfs user nor inside
>> chroot - this is just as a regular user, so you're only testing the host
>> system's gcc.
>>

> The point here is, that I was user "lfs" and went "su" and performed
> "readelf -l /tools/bin/gcc | grep interpret". So I performed the readelf
> for /tools/bin/gcc as root but not in chroot.

Ah, you'd lost me in all the extraneous info you've given. You *did* do
readelf /tools/bin/gcc. It doesn't make the slightest difference which
user you did that as or whether or not you were in chroot - that output
indicates that /tools/bin/gcc is in fact linked wrong, so you do need to
start over.

>> Obviously "cc" isn't going to be found if /tools/bin isn't in the PATH.
>>
> When I am logged in as user "lfs" and I am not in the chroot
> environment, I get:
>
> lfs at esprit:~$ echo $LFS
> /mnt/lfs
> lfs at esprit:~$ echo $PATH
> /tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
> lfs at esprit:~$
>
> So the PATH here is correct.

I never asked about the PATH, nor did I say anything about the ownership
of /tools/bin. Besides, you're just repeating a bunch of stuff you've
said before.

> [As I mentioned: At the end of the second path of gcc (chapter 5.12) I get:
> lfs at esprit:/mnt/lfs/tools$ echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
> lfs at esprit:/mnt/lfs/tools$ cc dummy.c
> lfs at esprit:/mnt/lfs/tools$ readelf -l a.out | grep ': /tools'
>       [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
>
> and
>
> lfs at esprit:/mnt/lfs/tools$ readelf -l a.out
>
> Elf file type is EXEC (Executable file)
>   INTERP         0x000114 0x08048114 0x08048114 0x00019 0x00019 R   0x1
>       [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
> ]

That indicates that *binaries built by /tools/bin/gcc* are linked
correctly, but that's different from /tools/bin/gcc itself, which, as
above output indicates, is not linked right.

> Then I go su because I can do chroot only as root:
>
> lfs at esprit:~$ su
> Password:
> esprit:/home/lfs#

We do not need a complete record of each and every single solitary
command you do. This just takes up space and makes it much more
difficult to follow what you are trying to say.
>> readelf -l /tools/bin/gcc | grep interpret
>>
>> My guess is it will say /lib, not /tools/lib.
> No because als user "lfs" (not in chroot environment), it was /tools/lib
> as you see above.
>
>> If so, gcc is linked
>> wrong, in which case my guess would be that you forgot to rm the source
>> and/or build dirs for gcc in between pass 1 and pass 2.
> No I didn't forgot this. I always removed the sources before performing
> the next step.

You said "the sources". Does that also include the build directories
(gcc-build, binutils-build, etc...)?