SCSI support - LFS 6.4

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 9 14:42:23 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:14:06PM +0000, Anthony Price wrote:

> I have an LFS build on a partition on a SCSI disk. The Adapter is SCSI
> 29320A.
> SCSI support is enabled in the Kernel
>
> Ubuntu can see the SCSI disk partitions so the disk and / or the adapter
> are supported.
> A copy of the installation on a PATA drive boots on another machine, so
> the build is OK.
>
> Adaptec's documentation doesn't tell me much and the binary drivers that
> come with it are intended for RedHat, SuSE, etc.
>
> I downloaded a tgz from the Adaptec site and unpacked it. It contains
> readme files which tell me nothing that applies to my situation.
>
> There is a Makefile, but running make produces an error message:
>
> "make: *** No rule to make target `/aic7xxx_seq.h', needed by
> `/aic7xxx_core.o'.  Stop."
>
> I am out of  my depth here, so any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

aic7xxx has been in the kernel for a very long time, so no need for
out-of-tree drivers.

 In menuconfig,
 Device Drivers | SCSI device support | SCSI low level drivers |
Adaptec AIC7xxx Fast -> U160 Support

 Avoid the old AIC7xxx driver with any kernel from the last 2 or 3
years, unless you have a special need for it.

ĸen