GCC & DESTDIR

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 04:16:57 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, at 11:58 Jack Stone wrote:
> Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 08, at 11:29 Jack Stone wrote:
> >> No you were correct the first time. I am trying to destdir chapter05.
> >> Maybe I shouldn't be but the problem will probably come up again in
> >> chapter06.
> >>

> > No I don't think will come up later.
> >
> > Though toolchain issues is not my domain of interest, I think that
> > the system in chapter05 was designed in a way that requires all the
> > packages to be installed under /tools so all the references
> > to the dynamic linker should point to /tools/lib.
> > Glibc in chapter06 can be build fine (per explanations in the book) even
> > though the compiler specs file and linker are still pointing at /tools.
> > By re-adjusting the toolchain after the glibc built any newly compiled
> > program will be built against these new libraries.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ag.
>
> I meant that I will want to DESTDIR chapter06 and I think that might
> cause problems with installing gcc. I'm trying a build without
> destdir-ing gcc pass2 now.

I've never tried to use DESTDIR in LFS. Diy Linux is using this technique
for years by the way. You might want to look on the reference build:

http://www.diy-linux.org/

By the way it would be interesting to see the final results, if you attempt
to use DESTDIR in chapter06. In fact, I thought it was a target for LFS-7.0.

> Jack

Regards,
Ag.