GCC & DESTDIR

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 03:24:50 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, at 01:18 Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, at 11:07 Jack Stone wrote:
> > Chris Staub wrote:
> > > I don't see a "problem" other than a user attempting something that
> > > simply isn't supposed to be done. Everything in chapter 5 is meant to be
> > > installed into /tools. In any case, you haven't provided the exact
> > > details - what DESTDIR did you use and what exactly was your configure
> > > command?
> >
> > I'm sorry if I made it seem like a problem with the book, that wasn't my
> > intention.
> >
> > I've included the exact build script I'm using below. The only
> > difference from the book is that I have added a DESTDIR=/absolute/path
> > to the install command. The exact path is a directory generated by
> > mktemp and is passed into this script.
> >
> > I'm trying to do this as part of the first stage of package management
> > and automation.
> >

> But you have nothing to gain by using DESTDIR in chapter05; if you want
> absolutely a log with a list of the installed files, you might find
> easier to use 'find' in that stage.

Oh I thought it was for chapter05, but I see now it was meant for chaptero6.
I was confused because you've said that is the second pass of ggc and
you've also said that your problem came when you've tried to install
glibc *after* you've built gcc. But ggc is builted once in chapter06 and
glibc is the second package in chapter06. There is something wrong with
this logic or I am confused myself. In that case sorry.

Regards,
Ag.