How to upgrade a package in a linux distribution?

petrele.chen petrele.chen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 22:52:41 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 07:14 +0100, Alberto Hernando wrote:

> Well, let's go step by step.
>
> LFS is a way to build your own distro. You don't end up with ubuntu,
> gentoo, fedora or alike. Your goal is just to have a LFS.
> BUT, you have to start from another working system, which usually
> means another distro. In your case, that distro is ubuntu.
> Your original question was about ubuntu, not LFS, and that's why I
> think it's off-topic here. It might be that you need to upgrade that
> package because it's a requirement to build a LFS, according to the
> pre-requisits stated in the book. This I don't know, but, again, I
> still think that your problem is with ubuntu. The idea behind LFS is
> that the user should have a working system and starting there, build
> the new system. How the first system (the host) is working, it's up to
> the user. That's how I understand it. But, again, your problem is
> pretty easy to be solved. Just look in /etc/apt/sources.list and see
> what you have. Make a search in ubuntu's repositories to see if they
> have the package version you want, and add the source. Then, apt-get
> update && apt-get install package-xxx. In short, that's all. Id even
> so you didn't undestand how to do it, you'd better learn a bit before
> starting the LFS thing. It's not that you can't build (and enjoy) it
> without a lot of knowledge. But, from my experience, knowing a bit how
> "standar" distros and package management work is quite advisable.
> Am I clear?
>
> Alberto

Alberto, thanks for your explaination. I think the conversation between
you and me is off-topic, not the question I asked. And you didn't
understand the question I asked. I said the package comes with the
distro is too old and I can't find other repository(maybe I missed
this), so the apt-get way doesn't work here.
And about LFS, I doesn't agree with you in some place. First, LFS is
a way to build your own OS _or_ learn the construction of a Linux OS,
and what you end up it with is not important at all. So, where the
question came from doesn't matter at all. the only thing matters is the
solution.

Petrele.