LFS 6.4 Portability - *** correction ***

support support at expertrepair.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 04:56:28 PST 2009

*** Move this disk back to Machine A (not B as in the original post) ***
>> Ubuntu boots ok
>>
> You probably need to recompile the kernel to include the correct driver
> for your controller in machine A.
> In the 2.6.27 kernel series this should be included under the following
> menu:
>
> Device Drivers  ---> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
>
> Regards,
> Ag.

As for why ubuntu boots but LFS doesn't, it related to having
initrd/initramfs (i've no idea which ubuntu uses), Ubuntu will be using
a modular kernel with all the required boot modules stored in the
ramdisk, thus the i/o controller drivers are available when the kernel
needs them. Because you built a custom kernel for LFS without a ramdisk,
you had to compile the drivers into the kernel.  The previous reply is
still what you need to do to fix it, but I thought I'd try and shed some
light on why it happened for you.

Regards

Phill