LFS 6.4 Portability

Anthony Price elenmar at mailworks.org
Fri Feb 6 03:01:26 PST 2009

Portability

Host system Ubuntu 8.10
Book 6.4

I am experiencing problems moving a working installation between machines.

Here's how I built the system:

On machine A

Partition disk & unstall Ubuntu
Remove disk and install on machine B
Build LFS
Make this bootable
Machine B is now dual boot Ubuntu (on sda1) and LFS on sda3

Move this disk back to Machine B
Ubuntu boots ok

LFS reports:
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (2,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown
block (2,0)

[a blank 'list]

The above error messages have been copied from hand written notes so
there may be the occasional typo.

However, the other boot option - Ubuntu boots OK

If I remove the disk from machine A and attach it to machine B it is
dual boot Ubuntu / LFS

I have the feeling that I am missing somethin *very* elementary but I
don't know what it is.

(I have, by the way, experimented with various options at the GRUB
command line, but nothing works).

All comments / suggestions will be welcome.

TIA

Regards,

Anthony.