Reason for Chapter 5

armencho at gmail.com armencho at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:24:26 PST 2009

Hello all,

In trying to make better sense of the principles of LFS, I caught
myself in a brain dilemma: Why does one need to assemble the temporary
tools that assemble the LFS? Why cannot LFS be built by host's
toolchain itself, directly? I understand the need to isolate the
variables that may affect the assembly of the final system, and thus
setting up a clean shell for the 'lfs' user. But the code? After all,
gcc is distributed for a reason - to compile software, and if we have
to compile GCC everytime we want it to compile other software, why
even keep a built copy of it around? In other words, can the final
production GCC (built in chapter 6) be trusted to assemble another
LFS, without it first compiling a temporary GCC? Not sure if I made my
question across, but I am trying here...

Thanks.