LFS 6.5 Chapter 5 binutils Pass1 "Nothing to be done for 'install-target'"

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:36:54 PST 2009

rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:
>>> I'm attempting to build LFS 6.5 using my LFS 6.3 working build.  With
>>> binutils Pass1 in Chapter 5 I'm receiving the following:
>>>
>>>     make [2]: Leaving directory '/lfs/sources/binutils-build/libiberty'
>>>     make [1]: Nothing to be done for 'install-target'.
>>>     make [1] Leaving directory '/lfs/sources/binutils-build'
>>>
>>> I'm logged in as lfs.  /lfs/tools shows owner lfs.  /tools is empty and
>>> shows only the link to /lfs/tools.  LFS_TGT shows "i686-lfs-linux-gnu."
>>>
>>> I don't remember having this problem with earlier builds and assume it's
>>> something basic, but I'm just not seeing it.  ?
>> What did you use for the configure line?  I sounds like you missed a
>> backslash.
>>
>> It's pretty early in the build.  Delete /sources/binutils-2.20/ and
>> start over.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>>

> That's a good thought.  However, I install all packages through scripts
> and I've double/triple-checked this one (backslashes exist with no extra
> spaces).  I also ran binutils Pass1 manually twice this morning with the
> same result.  Also, in addition to building with my LFS 6.3 version,
> I've attempted binutils Pass1 with other distributions.  Same bloody thing.
>
> I realize I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.  However, I've
> successfully built LFS several times and this is the first package.
> Huh?  How much is there to screw up this early in the process?

Let's see what you are doing.  Run this:

set                          >  binutils.log
ls -ld /                     >> binutils.log
pwd                          >> binutils.log
md5sum binutils-2.20.tar.bz2 >> binutils.log
tar -xf binutils-2.20.tar.bz2  2>&1 |tee -a  binutils.log
cd binutils-2.20
mkdir -v ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils-build
../binutils-2.20/configure --target=$LFS_TGT --prefix=/tools \
     --disable-nls --disable-werror 2>&1 | tee -a ../binutils.log
make 2>&1 |tee -a ../binutils.log
cd ..

If the above doesn't work, compress the log (gzip -9 binutils.log) and
send it to us.

   -- Bruce