LFS 6.5 Chapter 5 binutils Pass1 "Nothing to be done for 'install-target'"

rhubarbpie at poetworld.net rhubarbpie at poetworld.net
Wed Dec 30 11:04:16 PST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:
>> I'm attempting to build LFS 6.5 using my LFS 6.3 working build.  With
>> binutils Pass1 in Chapter 5 I'm receiving the following:
>>
>>     make [2]: Leaving directory '/lfs/sources/binutils-build/libiberty'
>>     make [1]: Nothing to be done for 'install-target'.
>>     make [1] Leaving directory '/lfs/sources/binutils-build'
>>
>> I'm logged in as lfs.  /lfs/tools shows owner lfs.  /tools is empty and
>> shows only the link to /lfs/tools.  LFS_TGT shows "i686-lfs-linux-gnu."
>>
>> I don't remember having this problem with earlier builds and assume it's
>> something basic, but I'm just not seeing it.  ?
>
> What did you use for the configure line?  I sounds like you missed a
> backslash.
>
> It's pretty early in the build.  Delete /sources/binutils-2.20/ and
> start over.
>
>    -- Bruce

That's a good thought.  However, I install all packages through scripts
and I've double/triple-checked this one (backslashes exist with no extra
spaces).  I also ran binutils Pass1 manually twice this morning with the
same result.  Also, in addition to building with my LFS 6.3 version,
I've attempted binutils Pass1 with other distributions.  Same bloody thing.

I realize I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.  However, I've
successfully built LFS several times and this is the first package.
Huh?  How much is there to screw up this early in the process?