[LFS-6.5]: Almost there...

Abhinav Chaturvedi achaturvedi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 00:16:53 PST 2009

Thanks Ken,
It was my bad. I had written si:sysinit instead of si::sysinit in the
inittab file.
The system boots now and I can login as root. The eth1 issue still remains.

But I guess if I can follow BLFS instructions in my host environment, then I
could create a KDE GUI for myself and thereafter load the wireless driver as
a module.
The GUI would give me visual feedback on what the system could or could not
detect - no signal bars for example - as opposed to command line feedback -
which I don't think I would be able to make sense of all the time.

Well, that's the plan anyway. i now have a kernel optimized for Core 2. I am
eager to see if I can make the whole thing (kernel + KDE) boot and work
faster than OpenSuse.

Cheers
Abhinav.

2009/12/29 Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com>

> 2009/12/29 Abhinav Chaturvedi <achaturvedi at gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> > I am a first time LFS builder and I think I am within reach of getting my
> > own
> > uber-optimized custom Linux kernel for Core 2 Duo (the processor I chose
> > when doing make menuconfig for the kernel).
> > But I am seeing the following issues as I load LFS.
> >
> > An admission first: I did not understand much of chapter 7 of LFS-6.5.
> > By that I mean I understood so little of what was being talked about
> there
> > (Udev etc) that I could not accept
> > what I was being asked to do. Hence, I might have glossed over some
> steps.
> >
> > Now, to the issues:
> > 1. Starting kernel log daemon [FAIL]
> >     My guess is that the solution lies in section 7.6 (Configuring
> sysklogd
> > script)
>
>  Very possiby, so review what you did against what the book says!
> If that doesn't highlight any errors, when you are able to log in (see next
> item), you can look at the klogd command in the initscript and try running
> it
> by hand to find out what is failing [ source the rc and then
> ${rc_fubnctions}
> first ].
>

> > 2. INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
> >     I have absolutely no idea where this message is coming from.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#respawning-too-fast
>

> > 3. On doing Ctrl + Alt + Del, I get the following:
> >    shutdown: /dev/initetl: No such file or directory.  Again, no idea on
> how
> > to fix this.
> >

> Typo: /dev/initctl (I think).  I don't recall ever seeing problems with
> this.
> Might be a side effect of the error(s) in /etc/inittab.
>
> > 4. Message: Interface eth1 doesn't exist [WARN].
> >    I guess the problem is with missing driver for my internal wireless
> card
> > (manufacturer: Broadcom).
> >    I have compiled and installed the driver in the past. So I could try
> > doing that again assuming that
> >    my LFS kernel can auto-detect the USB port (which I would need). But
> am I
> > guessing on the right track?
>
>  If you needed an external driver in the past, you probably still need
> an external driver now (or, it might be in the 'staging' drivers - you
> would need to enable CONFIG_STAGING to be able to select it).
> I don't understand the comment about auto-detecting the usb port
> (I've never used wireless), but if you can build a working version
> of the same kernel on the host system, you should be able to do
> the same things (using additional source, if necessary) in the new
> system.
>
> ĸen
> --
> After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"
> --

It's the peoples' will, I am their leader, I must follow them. (Jim Hacker
in Yes Minister)