[LFS-6.5]: Almost there...

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 10:27:17 PST 2009

2009/12/29 Abhinav Chaturvedi <achaturvedi at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I am a first time LFS builder and I think I am within reach of getting my
> own
> uber-optimized custom Linux kernel for Core 2 Duo (the processor I chose
> when doing make menuconfig for the kernel).
> But I am seeing the following issues as I load LFS.
>
> An admission first: I did not understand much of chapter 7 of LFS-6.5.
> By that I mean I understood so little of what was being talked about there
> (Udev etc) that I could not accept
> what I was being asked to do. Hence, I might have glossed over some steps.
>
> Now, to the issues:
> 1. Starting kernel log daemon [FAIL]
>     My guess is that the solution lies in section 7.6 (Configuring sysklogd
> script)

 Very possiby, so review what you did against what the book says!
If that doesn't highlight any errors, when you are able to log in (see next
item), you can look at the klogd command in the initscript and try running it
by hand to find out what is failing [ source the rc and then ${rc_fubnctions}
first ].

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#respawning-too-fast

> 3. On doing Ctrl + Alt + Del, I get the following:
>    shutdown: /dev/initetl: No such file or directory.  Again, no idea on how
> to fix this.

Typo: /dev/initctl (I think).  I don't recall ever seeing problems with this.
Might be a side effect of the error(s) in /etc/inittab.

> 4. Message: Interface eth1 doesn't exist [WARN].
>    I guess the problem is with missing driver for my internal wireless card
> (manufacturer: Broadcom).
>    I have compiled and installed the driver in the past. So I could try
> doing that again assuming that
>    my LFS kernel can auto-detect the USB port (which I would need). But am I
> guessing on the right track?

 If you needed an external driver in the past, you probably still need
an external driver now (or, it might be in the 'staging' drivers - you
would need to enable CONFIG_STAGING to be able to select it).
I don't understand the comment about auto-detecting the usb port
(I've never used wireless), but if you can build a working version
of the same kernel on the host system, you should be able to do
the same things (using additional source, if necessary) in the new
system.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"