[LFS-6.5]: Almost there...

Abhinav Chaturvedi achaturvedi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:15:02 PST 2009

Hi all,
I am a first time LFS builder and I think I am within reach of getting my
own
uber-optimized custom Linux kernel for Core 2 Duo (the processor I chose
when doing make menuconfig for the kernel).
But I am seeing the following issues as I load LFS.

An admission first: I did not understand much of chapter 7 of LFS-6.5.
By that I mean I understood so little of what was being talked about there
(Udev etc) that I could not accept
what I was being asked to do. Hence, I might have glossed over some steps.

Now, to the issues:
1. Starting kernel log daemon [FAIL]
    My guess is that the solution lies in section 7.6 (Configuring sysklogd
script)

2. INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
    I have absolutely no idea where this message is coming from.

3. On doing Ctrl + Alt + Del, I get the following:
   shutdown: /dev/initetl: No such file or directory.  Again, no idea on how
to fix this.

4. Message: Interface eth1 doesn't exist [WARN].
   I guess the problem is with missing driver for my internal wireless card
(manufacturer: Broadcom).
   I have compiled and installed the driver in the past. So I could try
doing that again assuming that
   my LFS kernel can auto-detect the USB port (which I would need). But am I
guessing on the right track?

I really want to see this kernel working so that I can move on to BLFS,
optimize that too (KDE etc) and then see
just how much faster than a standard distribution can I get my system to be.

Thanks for your help
Abhinav.

--
It's the peoples' will, I am their leader, I must follow them. (Jim Hacker
in Yes Minister)