How to script automate unTAR of packages

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Dec 28 19:44:01 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 15:54 -0500, Mikie wrote:
> > I have difficulty understanding *why* you want to do this mass extraction.
>
> It's that much less typing.
>
> If I can use the wget-list to pull all packages
> ... and one command to extract them all to their directory this is good.

You *did* read the bit in General Compilation Instructions that says all
source trees should be removed once you're finished with them, and not
re-used between chapter 5 and 6? Extracting every directory in one go
pretty much guarantees you're going to miss that step at least once
during the build.

Besides, it's also just plain wrong in some cases. Several packages
(glibc-libidn and udev-config come to mind) are supposed to be extracted
into the source tree of other packages, not installed top-level...

Simon.