Incorrect output of config.guess

Patrick OConnell poconnell93 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:39:19 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick OConnell wrote:
> > Hi, I'm installing LFS from Gentoo (non-multilib if it matters), and
> > config.guess is returning x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, but gcc -dumpmachine
> > shows x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. I've been having some problems installing gcc
> > pass 2, and binutils in CLFS, although that's not my main question here. I
> > kind of assumed it was because I wasn't following the book exactly, but
> > could the incorrect vendor field be causing problems?
>
> The results of config.guess are used to find the system specific
> libraries and programs used by gcc:

> gcc -dumpmachine should be x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu too.

$ ls /usr/lib/gcc
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
$ gcc -dumpmachine
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
$ ./config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

> This is the LFS list.  Try using LFS instead of CLFS unless you are
> trying to install multilib.
gcc pass 2 had failed using regular LFS, I had just tried CLFS to see
if it fixed the problem, and the very first binutils build failed. But
like I said I'm not asking about these specific failures, I'm just
wondering if the vendor mismatch could be a problem.