Incorrect output of config.guess

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:17:13 PST 2009

Patrick OConnell wrote:
> Hi, I'm installing LFS from Gentoo (non-multilib if it matters), and
> config.guess is returning x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, but gcc -dumpmachine
> shows x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. I've been having some problems installing gcc
> pass 2, and binutils in CLFS, although that's not my main question here. I
> kind of assumed it was because I wasn't following the book exactly, but
> could the incorrect vendor field be causing problems?

The results of config.guess are used to find the system specific
libraries and programs used by gcc:

ls /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.4.1/
cc1            crtbeginS.o    crtfastmath.o  finclude/      libgcc.a
cc1plus        crtbeginT.o    crtprec32.o    include/       libgcc_eh.a
collect2       crtend.o       crtprec64.o    include-fixed/ libgcov.a
crtbegin.o     crtendS.o      crtprec80.o    install-tools/

gcc -dumpmachine should be x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu too.

This is the LFS list.  Try using LFS instead of CLFS unless you are
trying to install multilib.

   -- Bruce