lfs usergroup presentation and logging aid
Robert C. Hansen
rchmath at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 23 18:18:41 PST 2009
I was fortunate to present an overview and commentary on lfs to the St
Louis Linux User Group last week.
The presentation in PDF format is found on the Saint Louis UNIX Users
Group web site. > http://sluug.org/ > resources > presentations >
St. Louis Linux Users Group ( December 17 2009 )
While building my system ( lfs 6.3 using livecd for level/host
compatibility) and using the cmd 2>&1 | tee logfile tip I decided
to 'beef' up the suggestion.
I developed two execs logdir and rch to enable me to collect my
command output in a /mnt/lfs/logfile directory These are also
posted on SLUUG site with the presentation.
logdir - used to set the directory for log output ( invoke by . )
rch - a wrapper prefix to command in the lfs build
notes on logdir
1. DO NOT make logdir executable ( invoke by . or source )
2. I used logdir to put packageX output in /mnt/lfs/logfile/pacakgeX
notes on rch:
1. this does not work in all cases ( e.g. stacked cmds)
2. rch prompts for outfile and comment also generates info to a
history file overall_command_history overall_package_history .
3. rch are my initial so use your own if you like.
4. I 'hid' them in /usr/bin but you could put them in / directory
and invoke /logir /rch
Enjoy(?) and regards Robert C. Hansen
More information about the lfs-support