irq timeout error

Mykal Funk mykalfunk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 16:49:00 PST 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mykal Funk wrote:
>
>> While running a compile of GCC I got the following error:
>>

> Oh, if you have a distro which can use SMART, and your
> disc is SMART capable, you can ask it.
>
> # smartctl -i /dev/hda

This command showed that the drive was SMART enabled, though it failed
to recognize the disc saying "Not in smartctl database".
> will tell you whether you have a SMART capable disc, and whether
> it be enabled. If your disc is SMART capable, but it is not
> enabled, then enable it.
>
> # smartctl --smart=on --offlineauto=on --saveauto=on /dev/hda
>
> If so, then
>
> # smartctl --health /dev/hda
>
> will give you a pass/fail diagnostic message.

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Please note the following marginal Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   001   050    Pre-fail
Always   In_the_past 0
> # smartctl -a /dev/hda

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 4
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   025    Pre-fail
Always       -       274871
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   100   099   025    Pre-fail
Always       -       64
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       1645
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   001   050    Pre-fail
Always   In_the_past 0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   025    Pre-fail
Always       -       91205
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   080   080   000    Old_age
Always       -       1149279
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0027   100   100   072    Pre-fail
Always       -       64
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       832

Warning: device does not support Error Logging
Error SMART Error Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: SMART Error Log Read Failed
Warning: device does not support Self Test Logging
Error SMART Error Self-Test Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: SMART Self Test Log Read Failed
Device does not support Selective Self Tests/Logging

> will give you more information about what may be wrong, if anything.
>
> Mike

I've not dealt with hard discs on this level before. I am a little
unsure of how to interpret the data I received. It looks like it passed,
but you have that Reallocated_Sector_Ct to take into consideration. What
do you think?

Mykal Funk