irq timeout error

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 18 14:04:17 PST 2009

Mykal Funk wrote:
> While running a compile of GCC I got the following error:
>
> hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xc4
> ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd4, count=1
> ide0: reset: success
> hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: possibly failed opcode: 0x20
> ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd0, count=2
> ide0: reset: success
>

> Everything continues, but at a slightly slower pace. I received this a
> number of time during the first GCC compile. I had to start over when

This looks like you have impending hardware failure. Another
possibility is a very old and slow disc. Another possibility
is a dirty or slightly corroded connector. Since it is easy,
cheap, and quick to try to fix up a possible connector problem,
that's what I'd try first.

My first step would be to power down, and reseat the disc cables.
I'd pull them back about 1/2 the way it would take to disengage
the connectors, "rock" them back and forth a few times, then
reseat them fully back. I'd do the same with the power supply
connectors to the discs. If you have an older machine with
a separate disc controller board, then I'd remove and reseat
the controller board to the motherboard connector, as well.

If there are jumpers or other connectors on the discs, or
on the motherboard related to the built in disc controller,
or controller board (if separate) I'd do the same "half remove,
wiggle, and reseat" each of them, or for jumpers perhaps just
slide them back enough to disengage them half way, then reseat
each one several (like 5 or 10) times.

If that didn't make the problem go away, then I'd suspect that
you are going to lose the disc or the controller very soon. It
might be a very old, very slow (by modern standards) disc, but
I wouldn't count on it. I don't guess you have any useful information
on that disc yet, so that's not a problem. Otherwise I'd suggest
a Step Zero to do a full backup with verification.

If the problem persists, then you can just continue to use it
to build LFS, or whatever, knowing that it may fail at any
moment, but that you won't lose anything you can't easily
reconstruct.

One thing about hard drives I can guarantee you: eventually
all of them fail.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.