irq timeout error

Mykal Funk mykalfunk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:44:22 PST 2009

While running a compile of GCC I got the following error:

hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xc4
ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd4, count=1
ide0: reset: success
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: possibly failed opcode: 0x20
ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd0, count=2
ide0: reset: success

Everything continues, but at a slightly slower pace. I received this a
number of time during the first GCC compile. I had to start over when
glibc failed to install and I discovered that my path was set wrong. My
research indicates that this is related to excessive swapping or
possiblely a disk failure. I'm not sure as I couldn't google my exact
error and most of the ones that I found didn't end with "reset:
success". free indicates that I have plenty of free memory and swap
space, so I'm not out of memory.

Does anyone know if this is an error that can be safely ignored? Or will
it affect the build in some way? If it will affect the build how would I
go about fixing the problem?

Mykal Funk