autoreconf error on kbd-1.15.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 17:51:31 PST 2009

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> Just recently, my build scripts have been having the following
> problems w/ using autotools to reconfigure kbd, but I was having
> troubles tracking it down to the cause (One of the package updates in
> the last 2-3 weeks).  [I think it was around the time libtool was
> updated, but I cannot see any way how libtool would cause it]
>
> configure.ac:6: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:16: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_C_O
> configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

Nathan, the input to automake is configure.ac and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is a
required macro.  I think you have a problem with your automake
installation.  It is defined in /usr/bin/automake (a perl script).

Looking at the configure file for kbd-1.15, I see:

AC_PREREQ(2.60)
AC_INIT(kbd, 1.15, gladkov.alexey at gmail.com)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

I did some testing at got:

$ ls
AUTHORS    Makefile.am  aclocal.m4    config.sub    data        man
        rc
COPYING    Makefile.in  compile       configure     depcomp     missing
        src
ChangeLog  NEWS         config.guess  configure.ac  doc
mkinstalldirs  ylwrap
INSTALL    README       config.h.in   contrib       install-sh  po

$ autoconf
aclocal.m4:16: warning: this file was generated for autoconf 2.63.
You have another version of autoconf.  It may work, but is not
guaranteed to.
If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system entirely.
To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically
`autoreconf'.

$ automake
configure.ac:6: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.11,
configure.ac:6: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:6: comes from Automake 1.10.1a.  You should recreate
configure.ac:6: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.

$ aclocal
$ automake
$

So I think you have a problem with your autotools installation.

   -- Bruce