plsce for killall

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Dec 11 23:37:43 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 11:14 +0100, Alexander Kozlov wrote:
> I do. And I do install psmisc. I'm just thinking how important it
> is? Debian considers it optional (it is misc after all) and
> installs to /usr/bin and Slackware builds both killall and fuser in
> procps.

Oh, so both of those are available there? Are they more or less
compatible with the psmisc versions?

I ask, having been burned previously by a problem alluded to in the man
page, where it says "Be warned that typing killall name may not have the
desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a
privileged user." A very understated way of saying that on such systems,
killall ignores parameters, and kills every process it can. :(

Simon.