plsce for killall

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 11 13:21:50 PST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> If you think that, then it would be reasonable to put it into
>> /bin.
>
> Actually, /bin is for files needed by root when /usr is not mounted and
> also needed by regular users when /usr is mounted.

Yes. That's why I responded the way I did. I don't think killall
belongs in /bin, but rather in /sbin, but that's a personal call.

> With the exception of klogd and syslogd, there is nothing preventing
> users from running anything in the LFS /sbin directory.  They are just

Of course not.

[...]

> It's trivial for any user to adjust PATH to search /sbin and /usr/sbin.

Anyone with any experience in a UNIX environment knows these things,
I think. It isn't a matter of permissions, or protections, it's
a matter of necessity of having something which is needed immdiately
the first mount has taken place, and the historical custom of
separating out tools which are mostly intended for root to run
from those which are more general purpose, which is just custom
and nothing more. Which of those two categories killall falls
into is subject to opinion, apparently. Anyway, there's no
need for separate /bin and /sbin, and one could just as well only
have a /bin, or even /my_executables if one wanted. Some tools
look in special places for things, though, so one might need
some links installed into /bin or /sbin for those to work.
Some scripts intended only for root to use immediately set
the PATH to empty, and specify full paths to the tools to be
used, in order to harden them somewhat to hackers.

Having certain tools in /sbin or /bin is (almost) a necessity
for guaranteed good backups, also. I always make sure I switch to
single user mode, unmount everything I can, remount / as ro,
and fsck all file systems, then mount all file systems except
the one to hold the backup as ro, and do the backup. If I used
tape to hold backups, then nothing would be mounted rw.

Anyway, this is getting into topic drift. Mostly, killall
needs to be present when nothing but / is mounted, because it
may be needed during shutdown, and after some unmounts have
taken place. Where it gets put is up to user discretion,
otherwise, I think. /sbin is the traditional location, IME.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.