plsce for killall

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:32:19 PST 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> I'd use /sbin for things like automount, fsck, fdisk, killall, etc.
>> Regular users can use killall for their own processes, fdisk and fsck
>> for floppies or usb devices, etc.   The protection is in the devices and
>> processes, not the executables.
>
> If you think that, then it would be reasonable to put it into
> /bin.

Actually, /bin is for files needed by root when /usr is not mounted and
also needed by regular users when /usr is mounted.

With the exception of klogd and syslogd, there is nothing preventing
users from running anything in the LFS /sbin directory.  They are just
not in the default path.  That is not to say running the programs will
be successful.  There are permissions on devices, files, and processes
to consider.

It's trivial for any user to adjust PATH to search /sbin and /usr/sbin.

   -- Bruce